cloud avatar04th Dec: 32 Cvertical line
UPDATEcloud avatar
The chairman receives the president Tinubu at the secretariat on next week Friday for the ground opening |
The chairman receives the president Tinubu at the secretariat on next week Friday for the ground opening |
The chairman receives the president Tinubu at the secretariat on next week Friday for the ground opening |

Admin | Mail

Welcome to Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA

Ajegunle a cosmopolitan city in Lagos State

center line

Mission Statement

To serve as a leading institution in the grassroots, and with primary focus in the area of providing infrastructure, quality education system, economic progression, effective healthcare delivery, security and improved welfare of the masses.

Vision Statement

To ensure legacy of a government that is responsive in line with the socio-economic dynamics of transforming the lifestyles of the masses in the grassroots.

The Origin Of Ajegunle Facts And Forgery

Ajegunle is a cosmopolitan city in Lagos State. The history of Ajegunle dates back to the 19th century. And it is interesting to know that the word Ajegunle which literally means This is where my wealth inhabit is a near boundary coinage adopted to represent the geographical land mass of the modern day Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government and Ifelodun LCDA in Lagos State. The irony of this is that Ajegunle community inside Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government has only 15 Streets! The purpose of this book is to ensure that the younger generations are equipped with appropriate information, and equally to be endowed with verifiable legacies which can serve as educational resources and preservation of the socio-cultural background of one of the most populous city in Nigeria.

-Fakunle Sheriff Ekundayo

Challenges

Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government presently covers about 2.216 hectares of land with 97% development, leaving 3% comprising gutters, canals and swamps. The local government is geographically below the sea level, and virtually half of the total landscape is reclamation of swamp and mash. Its dense population comprises diverse populated settlements, towns and communities made up of people of disparate ethnic origins or nationalities and cultures. The local government is essentially residential and is best described as a semi-urban community with overtly retail economy.

Census

The 1991 provisional census result of Lagos State put the figure at five million, six hundred and eighty five thousand seven hundred and eighty one (5,685,781.00). Ojo Local Government under which Amuwo Odofin and Ajeromi/Ifelodun were then Area offices in 1991, by the provisional figure released, had a total population of One million and eleven thousand, eight hundred and eight (1,011,808.00) the highest recorded in any of the twenty local governments in Lagos State and in the 774 Local Governments in Nigeria as a whole. The recent distribution of National Identity Card in Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government in Lagos State alone has however; shed more light on the population of this local government. Approximately, over four million National Identity Cards were said to have so far being distributed to the populace with hundreds of thousands still to be given out. This does not include figure for the underage and those that did not meet the age requirement at the time of registration. As a matter of fact, not many States in Nigeria have the population concentration as exist in Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government, yet what comes to the local government from the federation account as grant is far less than what the state do collect. The fact that Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government is more populous than most States in Nigeria implies that the socio-economic responsibilities and challenges being borne by the local government are far greater and enormous than what most of the States in Nigeria shoulder. And by extension many countries in Africa: Countries like Togo, Chad, Burkina Fasso to mention just a few do not have the socio-economic responsibilities being borne by Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government.


To further illuminate the over-whelming responsibilities being shouldered by this local government is the fact that presently, it has within its jurisdiction, Seventy two (72) Public Primary Schools and Thirty nine (39) Public Secondary Schools, while it has over two hundred (200) Private schools (Primary and secondary inclusive). Population of students in AJIF local government is over two hundred thousand, and this clearly suggest that more infrastructural development is needed in the local government.

Geography

Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government Area is bounded on the North by Suru-lere Local Government, on the South by Atlantic Ocean Apapa-Tincan, Oshodi, Apapa Expressway, and on the Eastern flank by Apapa Local Government, and the North by Ogun State. The land size is 2,216 hectares, 97% development and leaving 3% which comprises of gutters, canals and swamps. The boundary stretched eastwards from Apapa in Lagos to Seme boarder in the West.

Economy

Predominantly petty trading and diverse commercial enterprise. Proliferation of major, mini markets and night markets dotting nooks and crannies.

Social Culture

It is a potpourri of volatile, complex and sprawling urban slum, the cosmopolitan population mix and setting comprising major and minor ethnic nationalities, tribes, culture, origin and taste. Ajegunle command a formidable pool of renowned international superstars and local soccer stars. Home to many accomplished popular Nigerian musicians, recording artistes and entertainment guru. Ajegunle is referred to as mini-Nigeria and the national headquarter of PIDGIN English.

Estimated Population

About 2.2 million people resident in Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government, comprising densely populated communities, towns and settlements, which comprise various ethnic, tribal and multi-national origin and culture, large population spread and geographical density rank it as one of the largest L.G.A in the federation. Described as mini Nigeria because of the large presence of every tribe/denomination and tongue who [populate this sprawling land mass.

ajeromi ifelodun logo

Ajegunle is a cosmopolitan city in Lagos State. The history of Ajegunle dates back to the 19th century. And it is interesting to know that the word Ajegunle which literally means This is where my wealth inhabit is a near boundary coinage adopted to represent the geographical land mass of the modern day Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government and Ifelodun LCDA in Lagos State. The irony of this is that Ajegunle community inside Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government has only 15 Streets!

Administrative officers

  • Executive Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Secretary to the Local Government (SLG)
  • Leader of the House
  • Council Manager

Departments

Contact Info

Address

1, Baale Adeyemo Street, Ajegunle 110001, Lagos, Nigeria.

Phone

+234 812 3456 789

Email

infor@ajeromi-ifelodun.lg.gov.ng

Follow Us

© 2023 Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government. All rights reserved.

  • About Us
  • |
  • History
  • |
  • Publications